Since 2010 the Library has added an extensive technology and instructional infrastructure that responds to the demands of the children, teens, and adults in the community. The program offer hands-on instruction in several areas and include a Bilingual Outreach Coordinator and other programs for the Latino Community. The library also added two full-time Security Guards, who worked with the Hackensack Police Department to help eliminate disruptive activity on Main Street. The library also offers evening programs for the community that brought almost 10,000 attendees to Main Street last year alone.
The citizens group "Save the Johnson Public Library," will be in attendance at the October 21, 2014 meeting of the city council to distribute "Save the Library" t-shirts, collect signatures for a petition to request action by the city council, and to explain the impact the cuts will have on the community.
2015 Possible closure, Fewer Classes, Programming, Events, Technology for Children and Adults No Digital Products or Community Outreach!
- Possible closure ONE or more days a week.
- Reduction in materials and media resulting in long waiting periods for high demand books.
- No hands-on programs for adults and children with outside instructors.
- No digital products like Hoopla and Zinio.
- No community presence or events such as at Street Fair, National Night Out and Haunted Library.
- No funds to replace wi-fi routers and switches resulting in frequent extended loss of wi-fi.
- No funds to replace damaged public computers, resulting in fewer computers.
- Reduction in Security staff.
- The library building will also deteriorate; funds will not be available for needed maintenance and repair.
2016 Your Library will be CLOSED Two or more days a week
- No classes for children – Kids Tech Time, Robotics, Chess, Story Time and more.
- No technology seminars or assistance.
- Elimination of events: Haunted Library, Kid’s Tech Time, Book Give-a-Ways.
- No more classes: one-on-one tutoring in Excel, Word, and Resume-writing.
- Lack of staffing and lack of funds to pay heat, electric, and air conditioning bills.
- Minimal funds for new books or new media, and Security